Two weeks before the Diocese of New York elects a bishop suffragan, a nominee by petition has withdrawn his name. The diocese’s committee to elect a bishop announced the withdrawal by the Rev. Patrick Ward on November 22. Ward is interim rector of Christ Church Riverdale in the Bronx.
“After prayerful consideration I have made the decision to withdraw my petition for inclusion on the ballot in the upcoming election for Bishop Suffragan in the Diocese of New York,” Ward wrote to committee members. “May God bless the Diocese of New York, in the upcoming election. I will hold you all in my prayers.”
The diocese will meet in special convention December 7 to elect a bishop suffragan.
The five-member slate presented by the committee includes:
- The Rev. Kim Latice Coleman, rector, Trinity Church, Arlington, Virginia
- The Rev. Canon Susan Harriss, rector, Christ’s Church, Rye, New York
- The Rev. Kathleen Liles, Christ and St. Stephen’s Church, New York City
- The Rev. Allen K. Shin, rector, St. John’s Church, Huntington, New York
- The Rev. Mauricio J. Wilson, St. Paul’s Church, Oakland
Videos for each nominee are available on this page.