The latest edition of The Living Church is available online to registered subscribers.
Image: The lectern and Communion table of Glasgow University Chapel • Charles Clegg/Flickr
In This Issue
The fourth annual Student Essays in Christian Wisdom competition attracted papers from a refreshing variety of sources, both geographical and ecclesial.
H. Peter Kang, a student at Bexley Seabury in Columbus, Ohio, secured the top prize with his paper, “Viewing the Church as Israel through Liturgy and Ritual,” which The Living Church has published in this edition.
The other winners:
- Second place: Hannah King, Redeemer Seminary, Dallas: “The Gospel According to Hagar”
- Third place: Bradley Keith Harris, Beeson Divinity School, Birmingham, Alabama: “Christ the Reconciler: Unity in Creation, Scripture, and the Church”
We thank our judges for this year’s competition:
- The Rev. Michael Cover, a Lilly Postdoctoral Teaching Fellow at Valparaiso University and theologian in residence at St. Francis’ Church, Chesterton, Indiana
- Grace Sears, who has led The Order of the Daughters of the King in the United States, edited its magazine, The Royal Cross, and represented the Order in Malawi, England, and Brazil
- The Rt. Rev. Mark L. MacDonald, the Anglican Church of Canada’s first National Indigenous Anglican Bishop
Death Throes for Old Structures?
Christianity and Honor
By David Hein
Viewing the Church as Israel through Liturgy and Ritual
By H. Peter Kang
The Death of Scripture and the Rise of Biblical Studies by Michael C. Legaspi
Review by Michael Cover
Beginning to Read the Fathers, Revised Edition by Boniface Ramsey
Review by Peter Eaton
The City of God, Vol. 1 by St. Augustine
Review by Jeremy Bergstrom
Karl Barth and American Evangelicalism edited by Bruce L. McCormack
Review by J. Scott Jackson
Second in a Series on the Bible in the Life of the Church
By A.C. Thiselton
By Betsy Childs
People & Places